Monday, February 6, 2012

Washing My Troubles Down The Drain



Anyone who knows me knows I cherish my nightly steaming hot baths. Mornings are for showering, shampooing and shaving...and nights are for soaking.



As many years as I served in Young Women's I could never love Girl's Camp. I loved the girls, I loved the night sky, I loved the "getting away from it all", but I never loved Girl's Camp. One recent year I realized why, I didn't get my nightly bath. I relish that nightly routine, the letting the days troubles go down the drain. The time to get out of the bath, washed of the struggles, ready to start clean and fresh, physically and emotionally, for the next day.



In the bath, I read. It can be Reader's Digest, Better Homes and Gardens, or the latest fitness magazine (which btw never seems to do me any good). I feel like this is my time to take just for myself.



I think of Elder Justin Moore, serving in Nicaragua, who has a hose coming through an opening that dispenses only cold water. And I wonder, if I could ever have survived as a missionary without my nightly soak.



Every house I have lived in came with a shower in the master bath, or a shallow tub. But I am a visionary...I can see how to fit a big, deep tub in even a small space. A shallow tub won't do, I need water that will cover my body. So whenever I get a house (which isn't all that often mind you), the first thing that gets redone is the bathtub. I think of my water bill, and wonder how much I could save if I didn't feel my big, deep tub with water each night. But then I remember, you can't put a price on sanity. So as Calgon takes me away, you can be sure I am a happier woman because of it.

0 comments: