Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Favorite Places

I have my favorite places to visit. I no longer have the money or the family to go with, so I mostly just go there in my mind. But even in my mind, these places bring joy to my soul, peace to my heart, and memories to my mind. I have travelled 38 of the 50 states. I enjoyed New York, Ellis Island, Hannibal Missouri, Washington D.C. (Ford Theatre was my favorite), Nauvoo, Carthage, Graceland, San Francisco, and more. Even Bryce Canyon takes my breath away. I have been on a wonderful cruise to Mexico with my children and been to Canada a few times. I love to travel.



One of my favorite places to go is Solvang. Solvang is a small Danish town in the Santa Ynez Valley. I was able to live there for about 6 weeks and actually became known as a local. Solvang is a menagerie of fun touristy shops, baked delicacies, and an escape to another world. Right down the street is also Michael Jackson's Neverland. It was interesting to stop there one day and peer through the gates. The only souvenir I still have from Solvang is a fun royal blue wooden wagon that toted my children to balloon festivals, parades, and parks. It now sits in the guest room filled with fun memories.



One year I took a trip to Mount Rushmore. I can't even begin to describe the feelings I had while I was there. It was akin to being on sacred ground. I loved how it was set-up. As we walked around the path, there was a small billboard that described that particular president. When looking up at the sculpture from that vantage point, that president was the only one I had a view of. As I moved to the next sign, the same thing happened. It was only when standing back that I could see all four of the presidents at once. When we went to leave, Brandon said, "I don't want to leave here. It feels so good and I don't want to lose this feeling." That is how I felt too.



Sea Port Village is my favorite place to visit in the San Diego area. It is on the ocean and is a little village full of quaint shops. There is a kite store, a magic shop, and a left-handers store nestled around other unique shops. There is a carousel and people who draw cartoon portraits of the visitors. It is a village where the world seems to stand still. I love it.



Also in San Diego, I love to go to my favorite temple. The San Diego temple is so beautiful. It rises up like a space ship on the side of the freeway. The atrium inside is breathtaking. I have been able to attend temple sessions there as well as take my children to do baptisms.



My favorite beach in Southern California is Carlsbad. I love Carlsbad and have vacationed there many times. The beach is not crowded and it is easy to get to. The shopping and restaurants add to the atmosphere.



I love to travel and am sad that at this stage of life, it is not a part of who I am. I look forward to the day when I can go and see and do once again. There is so much of this world that I want to discover. Someday, hopefully soon.

0 comments: