Monday, February 13, 2012

Love Me Tender

I love concerts. I especially love outdoor concerts. I don't like to be enclosed with thousands of people and the smell of pot all around! I would rather be outside sitting in a chair or on a blanket enjoying the beautiful surroundings. Outdoors you don't have to worry about being claustrophobic either - see earlier post :)

My first concert was in 1973 in Texas. I was eight years old and I was privileged to see ELVIS! Yes, that is right. I still have my small yellow t-shirt I bought at the concert as well as an Elvis button. He wore his white jumpsuit with the rhinestone eagle on the back. I was in heaven. I was able to go to Memphis and tour Graceland. I also still have some of his record albums from when I was young girl. I loved rushing home from school to watch him in the After-School specials. Elvis was very much a part of my childhood.



I also love Neil Diamond and have been able to see him in concert a couple of times. I don't know if I will ever stop crushing on that man. His raspy voice, his soulful words, his eyes, they all get to me. I have almost every one of his albums collected from thrift stores and record stores. Yes, I am obsessed!



I saw Garth Brooks in concert just as he was becoming Garth Brooks. Trisha Yearwood was his opening act. That man could put on a show. He would fly over the audience attached to a cable. He was crazy! I still love listening to his music.



Yes, it is true, I did see Michael Jackson in concert. It was in 1988 in Los Angeles. That was an event! I never figured I would go to a Michael Jackson concert, but I am sure glad I did. He was really an entertainer. The other thing I remember most is it took us a couple of hours to get out of the parking lot...that place was packed.



My favorite local band is Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband. I can't count how many of their concerts I have been to. They are a great group of guys who keep you smiling with their talent and laughing with their shenanigans. My favorite song they sing is "Dream Big".



Some of the other concerts I have been to would include Crosby Stills and Nash, Kenny Chesney - twice, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Ronnie Milsap, Barry Manilow, James Taylor, Kenny Loggins, Martina McBride, The Judds, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Kenny G, Willie Nelson, and I am sure there are more my old brain can't remember. I guess from that list it is obvious I like the oldies but goodies.

I love concerts. Whenever I get a chance to go, I am excited to just sit back, relax and let them serenade me. For me, that is heaven!

0 comments: