Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chores



There are some chores I just do not like...these were the chores I pawned off on my kids. When my children were little, they kept their chores for the whole year. If we changed by the day, the week or the month, they would always say, "I did that last ______, it's his/her turn." By keeping their chores the whole year, I knew whose chore it was and I rationalized that they would get VERY, VERY good at that particular chore.

The chore that is at the top of my list...the chore I hate the most...is emptying the dishwasher. Isn't that funny? I will wash sinks full of dishes for days on end before I will unload the dishwasher. Weird, I know. By the way, emptying the dishwasher was usually Justin's job...he liked doing it, so he kept it year after year after year.



The other chore that I don't like is cleaning the toilet. I tried to entice my kids with that one by showing them it is like mixing a cake. Pour in the sugar (ajax), stir it around, etc. I think it flew with them for about a 1/2 a second. The bathrooms rotated around the kids, but I never thought they did a good enough job getting the "boy smell" out of there, that I usually ended up doing it again.



Laundry is next. I don't mind the sorting, washing, drying, or folding...it is the putting away that kills me. Nevertheless, I had all of my kids doing their own laundry by the time they were eight years old. Prior to that, it just sat on the couch day after day. Once they started doing their own, the living room looked like a living room again.



With that being said, my home stays really clean now with it just being me and Brooklyn. She does her laundry, I do mine. She cleans her bathroom, I clean mine. And as for the dishwasher...well it has been clean for 3 days now...and I have washed the dishes by hand for the last three nights. Justin, where are you when I need you ?

0 comments: