Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Funny Valentines



I love Valentine's Day...well actually I love the day before Valentine's Day. I would always spend that day preparing and scheming for the surprises and gifts I would leave for my sweetheart. I no longer have a sweetheart to do that for, but that does not mean I am left without love.

Brooklyn and I took the time to decorate the kitchen hutch for Valentines. My mom always said that red and pink do not go together, but I remember being a preschooler and having a red swimsuit trimmed in pink. And who can argue that the blood reds and cotton candy pinks of February 14 are anything but perfect together!



I have the best Valentines a woman could ever wish for in my three children. They love their mama and take such good care of her. I have unfortunately found in my life that men come and go, but I am blessed to have my children stand strongly and lovingly by me.



My first Valentine is my son Brandon. I knew when I carried him in my womb that we would have a special bond. He is a good boy and never neglects to call and send texts reminding me how important I am to him. As I watch him grow and take care of his new bride, I am pleased at his maturity and desire to provide a life of laughter and security for her. As they share this first Valentine's Day as a married couple, I am grateful for the eternity they will have together. As a small treat, I mailed them a box of homemade Valentine cookies. It is a family recipe that we always refer to as "Christmas cookies" no matter the holiday. I hope him having a little bit of his childhood and a little bit of his mama brought him an extra dose of love on the lovey-dovey day.



My second Valentine is my son Justin. He is so far away. Nicaragua does not celebrate many holidays and I will be interested to know if Valentine's Day is celebrated there. However, I know it will be remembered because I made a homemade Valentine's box, the kind we make in elementary school, and filled it will all kinds of confections. A fellow missionary mom was going to Nicaragua to pick up her son from his mission and agreed to hand deliver it for me.



I hope that he knows how much I love him and how important he is to me. He never ceases to amaze me with his perserverence, his determination and his goofy pictures. He tells me countless times that I am his best friend. This means so much to me. I know one day I will be replaced by some young beautiful daughter-in-love and that is fine with me. When your Valentine is your child, you are grateful for the day when your son can replace you with an eternal flame. But as for now, you are my Valentine, Elder Moore.




My third Valentine is my daughter Brooklyn. We are enjoying this time being housemates, just the two of us. Her poor life was so chaotic with the divorce. Then my parents rushed in to rescue us, my sister moved in with her kiddos while she was also going through a divorce, and our life became a big party. We loved living in a house with eleven people. We laughed and had so much fun. But with all the people, our personal relationship got lost. Now it is just her and I living alone. We cherish this time together. We spend hours talking and laughing and preparing and playing. We tell each other all the time, "You are my best friend!" I love her and marvel at the beautiful young woman she is, so full of talent and drive and compassion. I could not ask for a better friend than her.



So although I may not spend Valentine's Day with the traditional lover...a boyfriend or a husband...I count my blessings that I have three valentines that I love. My children will always be my sweethearts!



Roses are red
Violets are blue,
This Valentine's blog
Is my gift to you.

I love you Brandon, Justin and Brooklyn.

3 comments:

AubsandKenny said...

This post makes me want to cry. It's adorable! I love it! Your decorations are cute too!

ginger said...

I LOVE this! I love the pictures, the sentiment, and the way you show each of your babies how much you love them, but most of all I love those little people and YOU. I swear I couldn't love your kids more if they were my own. February 14 is all about LOVE and you have lots to give =) Happy Valentine's!

Jana Sohm said...

Darling post Sheri!! You certainly know how to say it right. I love the photos of your kids when they were little. They are so cute! Hope you had a great Valentines Day! We love you!!