Saturday, February 11, 2012

It Warms My Heart...



I have been crying a good part of the day...and no I am definitely not pregnant ;) My heart has been warmed over and over again by the goodness of people.

This afternoon I was watching an Extreme Home Makeover edition from several weeks ago. The crew went to Joplin, Missouri. Seven families had their homes leveled due to the tornado. As the people yelled, "Move that bus" and the families saw beautiful homes built where before there was only a concrete foundation, I sobbed. It came to mind that when God takes something away, he always replaces it with something of more value.



A few days ago, I read on facebook that one of my classmates from high school has terminal cancer. He is so far into it, he elected to not have chemo and to be put on a do not resuscitate order. I had a large graduating class, over 500 students, and many of us have reconnected on facebook. This particular classmate is single, his parents are deceased, and he has a teenage son. He really has no one to look after him. The classmates from nearly 30 years ago have rushed to his side. Because of their love and care, he has new doctors, new nutritionists, new zeal. He now wants to fight for what ever little time he has left. I don't live close enough to Ft. Worth to support him, but through facebook I have been able to send prayers and hugs to him. He knows that there are many of his fellow classmates cheering him on. The ones that live nearby are funneling into the hospital to give him encouraging words and love. It is an amazing process to watch. His son said he cannot remember the last time he saw his father this happy. That boy will probably be left alone without a father, but he will know he has many people who will look after him.



I saw a short video today on youtube. It was of a school principal who was walking through the school and out the doors. As he walked, he talked to the children, reminding them of their homework, congratulating them on their awards, offering encouraging words. It was easy to tell he was loved and looked up to by the students. As he walked out the doors, three hoodlums approached him, wanting to attack him. One student came and stood between his principal and the 3 men. Then other children began to join him until they had formed a protective circle around the principal they so admired. The three hoodlums left without saying a word. I loved this short video. I love how ordinary people will rise to the occasion to help and to love without any desire for recognition or award.



I have tender feelings about those that I walk this earth with. I am thankful for the people of good will, the ones that have pure hearts and truly seek the best for mankind. The world chooses to focus on the negative, but we can choose to focus on the positive. It is all around us, and it warms my heart.

0 comments: