Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Favorite Part of Christmas

My favorite part of Christmas is the lights. I love all the colors, I love the blinking ones, I love the straightly hung ones, I love the crooked ones, I love the displays, I love everything about them.

When I lived in Sandy, I would travel to the poorer neighborhoods of Salt Lake because I loved how gaudy they did their Christmas lights. There was often no rhyme or reason to them. They were thrown here, there and everywhere. They were often so tacky, but they were always my favorite.



I also love the people that go all out trying to have the biggest display in the county. Of course they probably also have the biggest electric bill, not to mention the most traffic congestion on their street. I have often wondered if their neighbors enjoy the display as much as I do!



We found a display in Hurricane that had lights set to music. We pulled up and turned the radio station to the assigned channel. The lights pulsed and danced...a Rudolph even talked. It was so cool...I don't understand how they do that! Technology is amazing.



There have been years when I have missed driving around to see the lights...too snowy, too busy, too sick. Sometimes my family didn't want to go...they had better things to do ;) It never felt like Christmas if I didn't get to see the lights. I remember a special time a few Christmases ago when I was out on a December date. The gentleman drove me up a dirt road on the side of a mountain. He said, "I'm not one for driving around aimlessly looking at lights. But from this point, you can see all the Christmas lights in the valley." It was beautiful and took my breath away. It was a new way to look at lights and I appreciated his thoughtfulness in doing this for me.



Either way, driving around aimlessly - like Brooklyn and I did last week, or sitting on a mountain top - Christmas lights are my favorite part of Christmas.

0 comments: