Friday, November 2, 2012

The Brotherhood

As my children were growing up, they loved to participate in athletics.  They played soccer, baseball, football, basketball...did gymnastics, dance, and karate.  It was all TOO MUCH.  Too much running here and going there.  Sitting in the rain, sitting in the sun, sitting in traffic.  I was tired...and even though we were all having fun, I believe they were tired as well.

I finally said, "Can we pick one sport and be really good at that sport?"  They all chose basketball.  I love basketball.  It is indoors, it is short and it is quick.  It can get heated...just ask Brandon!  It is fun.  The boys played Jr. Jazz basketball and eventually moved into Super League - their team was named "Good on Wood"...even getting to play in the Delta Center.  Brooklyn also played Jr. Jazz.  She was chosen for her Summit 9th Grade Basketball team and they took the state championship that year.  Brandon's name hangs in the rafters at Indian Hills Middle School to this day.

There was a great basketball standard installed in the RV parking driveway between our house and the Starks.  Boys from all over the neighborhood would come by to play a pick up game, HORSE, or just shoot alone...lost in their own thoughts.

I had a window that looked out on that slab of concrete and would sit in the window seat...also lost in my own thoughts as the ball bounced and swished.

I loved when the boys played priest ball.  Sometimes it was scary...but it was always exciting.  I knew the day would come when they would all go their separate ways and the ball would stop bouncing.  It made my heart ache.  I loved basketball...but more than that I loved the basketball players.

When searching for a house in Utah, I looked for six months.  I came to realize I wasn't looking for the perfect house, I was looking for the neighborhood...and more importantly the neighbors.  Little did I know when moving into 1243 E. Forest Ridge Rd., I would be establishing an extended family for my children to grow up with.  Eastridge 2nd Ward was filled with the greatest boys and they loved to be together. 

This group of boys encouraged each other, motivated each other and loved each other.  They played ball together, video games together, collected fast offerings together, and put in mission papers together.  They truly were brothers.  As they all left on missions, and I moved away from the house on Forest Ridge, I longed in my heart to see them play ball again.  I wondered if it would ever happain.  And it did!

After Justin returned from his mission, a pick up game was organzied at our local church building.  Although it lacked the intensity of a priest ball game, the love...the enjoyment...the brotherhood could be felt once again.

Dano Lym, Adam Lee, Ryan Waite, Brandon, Me, Justin, Eric Lee, Matt Farr, Mike Kersey, Ian Lee, Greg Rose

These boys I know will always stay close and keep each other in line.  I couldn't ask for better brothers for my kids.  I love them all!

0 comments: